9 Things we LOVED our first week in Ghana

Ryosuke and I have been in Ghana for a bit over a week now – and it’s been a very interesting (and fun!) trip. There’s so much I want to talk about and not enough time so I’ve decided to share with you the highlights of our first week here.

In no particular order:

1. The FOOD!

Ghanaian food is wonderful. It is rich, spicy, and flavorful.

My all-time favorite is either groundnut soup (pictured below – kind of like a peanut stew with chicken), fried plantain, red-red, or jollof rice with red sauce.

DSC01806

My husband isn’t so great with spicy food – but he’s also been LOVING all this Ghanaian food. I predict trying to make some of these when we get back to Japan.

2. Family time

Last night, dad taught Ryosuke and me how to make flour tortillas from scratch.

It. Was. Delicious.

DSC02068

More than the knowledge, though, it’s fun to have this “family bonding time.” Ryosuke absolutely ADORES my father (and I’m pretty sure the love flows both ways) and my heart warms watching them cook or go on adventures together.

3. The weather

Okay, so it’s bloody hot and humid… but after five months of freakishly cold weather in Japan, my body was aching for warmth. Ghana is definitely warm.

DSC01917

4. The weather The beach

Okay, you caught me. I really just like the beach.

DSC01987

We did a nice family weekend getaway at a nearby beach for Easter and it was really, really relaxing.

5. Staying at Ashesi campus

Ashesi is one of the only liberal arts universities in Africa (for more on it, you can check out Ashesi’s wikipedia page). Ashesi is a state-of-the-art university that combines technical majors with the liberal arts approach.

Ryosuke and I have been lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time on campus exploring, chatting with students, and sitting in on classes. And wow, we both wish we had been able to attend Ashesi when we were in college.

DSC01805

6. The adventures!

Dad has taken us around Accra, Berekuso, and a couple other towns over the past week. We’ve seen, experienced, eaten, drunk, and ridden in a bunch of things – with a whole slew of stories.

Picture below is dad introducing Ryosuke to palm wine in the town of Berekuso.

DSC01851

7. Meeting people

Ryosuke is the master at making friends. Everywhere he goes, he meets people.

I’m happy tagging along and being able to meet people through him~ In the picture below, Ryouske found a make-shift gym outside and some of the local boys spotted him while he lifted weights (iron bar with cement blocks).

DSC01859

8. The cities, towns, and villages

I like traveling and seeing how other people live.

DSC01839

9. Giving a presentation at GhanaBlogging

Ryosuke and I gave a presentation on how to build a blog (and/or YouTube channel) at the monthly GhanaBlogging meetup. There were a good twenty or thirty Ghanaian bloggers there and it was wonderful being able to teach (and learn from) them.

Ryosuke and I tag-teamed that presentation.

DSC01879

———————————-

And in a nutshell, that’s the highlights of our first week in Ghana! Stay tuned for more next week~

39 Comments on 9 Things we LOVED our first week in Ghana

1. Now I want to go to Ghana.
    But what is “red-red”?

2. This is cool! That Uni sounds awesome so I will be checking that out. Btw that picture you and your hubby is really cute ^_^

3. Hi Grace!
    Thanks for sharing your post. I’ve recently stumbled upon your youtube channel, blog, and comics and I have to say I’m loving every minute of reading/watching. Just subscribed to your Patreon and would love to purchase your books once they’re back on Etsy.
    You all look so happy in these shots, hope you had a great time!

4. Anonymous // 9 April, 2016 at 12:39 pm //

Grace, you are doing a wonderful job of sharing your life. Please continue to share your experiences with us. That way those of us who cannot get to Ghana can live the
    life with you vicariously.

5. Thank you for sharing your nice trip here. I just started to read your blog but already big fun of you guys! Also, I found the YouTube which you introduced your trip to Okinawa where I live. Thanks again and looking forward to a new article: ) by the way, I read Ryo-chan’s blog too.

6. This is so awesome Grace and Ryosuke! Your branching out and growing together as a couple and family. And you can tell that your dad and Ryosuke have a bromance going on which is awesome! The beach looks totally gorgeous! And you both Look like you belong there and pretty much everywhere.

You both are so great to share your stories and experiences with others there. I am glad that you got to relax and spend time with your family. Have a safe trip coming back home. (if you are not already home) ??❇?

7. Do your parents live there? Or just visiting? Sounds like your entire family is a worldly bunch :) Now I want to try the food!!!

8. Wow it looks like a great place to discover for real! That dish seems delicious and I am not. Fan of sauce :)

9. Sounds like a great holiday! My boyfriend and why went to Portugal to see my family (he’s half-English, half-Japanese) and we mostly just ate. And drove around near the coast.

10. Aw that beach picture is so cute!

11. All the cuteness! So happy for you two and your family! Have fun!

12. tiggymewmew // 1 April, 2016 at 6:38 am //

Wow! I knew Ryosuke was fit but he looks ripped in your beach picture! How much can he lift? And your bathing suit (or is that a cami over a bikini?) looks absolutely adorable! I was able to try fried plantain before! It’s really good! My father and brother went to Namibia several years ago and they had a great time! I also have a really good friend from Nigeria, I love learning about new cultures! What is palm wine like? How does it compare to red or white wine? I went to Canada once and got to try ice wine! It was really sweet and I loved it! I hope you two are still having a great time! If you can, do take more pictures! I can pretend I’m there that way! lol! Have fun and take care!

13. Ghartey Smith // 31 March, 2016 at 5:52 pm //

One thing for sure is Ghanaians are naturally friendly. They love and like foreigners all kinds.Their hospitality come to the fore even the hard core in Ghana aspect. Everybody can easily get along with a Ghanaian so try,its not difficult making friends in Ghana at all.before you even decide to they’ve already liked you because you’re foreign. Try.thanks and enjoy your short stay in Ghana thk you.

14. Stephanie // 30 March, 2016 at 9:59 pm //

You guys are too freakin’ cute!! Looks like an amazing trip.

15. I started following you and Ryosuke some time ago when I was looking into youtube vidoes about Japan and japanese living, japanese cooking. I have watched a lot of videos and still fins everything very interesting. I hope to travel to Japan one day. It’s also interesting to follow you two on your trips around to far away places. Keep posting!! And be safe!

16. Frederick Lim // 30 March, 2016 at 2:47 am //

I have always wanted to visit Africa. This is going to be added to my bucket list! Thanks for the post.

17. Looking forward to more thoughts on your trip to Ghana. Have enjoyed your blog for awhile now and Ghana is one of the countries I’m trying to visit in 2016/17. A happy intersection of my interests!

18. So much fun! I look forward to your Ghana blogger recommendations! Hope your Ghana Adventure continues to be wonderful!

19. I can’t wait to see the video! I would also love to hear recommendations for other bloggers and bloggers in Ghana, who publish in English.

20. S. J. Pajonas (spajonas) // 29 March, 2016 at 8:37 pm //

This looks like SO MUCH FUN!! Yay for a great trip!

21. Wow, what a fantastic time you are having! How heartwarming that Ryosuke and your Dad are already very close. Wishing you many, many more great memories from this time together!!

22. Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time! Can’t wait to hear about your adventures!

23. Anonymous // 29 March, 2016 at 5:27 pm //

people who possess natural talent of making friends with anybody make me really jealous, it takes so much effort and energy from me(who is introvert)

24. Looks like a really nice first week ! Enjoy your stay in Ghana.
    And the 2 of you look so beautifull on the picture of the beach !

25. all this sounds really awesome!
    y’know, I think it’d be a great idea if you could do more posts about Ghana, seeing as you made it sound really awesome here. perhaps it could help us who don’t really get any coverage about African countries like Ghana. I for one would love to read about them (next to your posts about Japan, of course)

1. 8 MORE Things we LOVED in Ghana (highlights from our second week) | Texan in Tokyo
  2. 7 (final) things we LOVED in Ghana | Texan in Tokyo