Comic: Bug Spray

comic comics cartoon texan in tokyo foreigner in japan manga mangaka

I haaaaaaate mosquito bites on the face. Ugh.

For some reason, mosquitoes really like biting my face. And my ankles. Everywhere else, not so much.

Thankfully the mosquito season is basically over now, so this SHOULD be the last bite of the season (fingers crossed!!)

———————————

Like these comics? Check out my comic books (on Amazon):

My Japanese Husband Thinks I’m Crazy: The Comic Book

and

My Japanese Husband (still) Thinks I’m Crazy

and

Confessions of a Texan in Tokyo

18 Comments on Comic: Bug Spray

1. Yup. Those mosquitos in Japan will EAT you! Grace bewwaarrreeee! lol. That’s happened to most of us surviving a Japanese summer. :P

• Nicholas Wilson // 7 October, 2015 at 7:38 pm //

I know the mosquitos get really bad during the summer months in Japan and I’m not trying to 1up anyone here but in Scotland in summer, especially in the countryside the highland midges (Culicoides impunctatus) attack in swarms that look like a small moving cloud and attack on mass!
      It can seem funny to see an unprepared tourist covered in bites but actually a swarm can inflict so many bites that it can provoke a serious histamine response. :/

2. Jessicavy // 7 October, 2015 at 10:51 am //

Ack! Last time I got chewed up by mosquitoes I noticed I never seemed to get bit on the face, and wondered if the human face had some kind of defense against it? I guess not!

3. Some of my family members get bitten by mosquitoes. They swear that citronella candles (and I guess the oil too?) keep the bugs away. I’m not sure if you can get them in Japan, though.

4. For unknown reasons I don’t really get bitten by mosquitos or over bugs…whileas my wife looks like she got hunted down by millions of mosquitos each year (same our son now) I have nothing! Only in China I actually get bitten from time to time however it doesn’t itch at all and it gives only tiny red spots.
    This is especially useful in Finland where mosquitos are having supposedly the size of pigeons and I can just work without shirt outside :p

5. Eric Janson // 7 October, 2015 at 1:31 am //

Whether one eats a lot of garlic and chilies, it’s always nice to have someone nearby who is more attractive to the pests — sorry Grace if that is you :-(
    That being said, I am among those who would prolly rather eat garlic and chilies and be bitten anyway.
    New topic: on a recent bicycling trip from Tokyo to / around southern Hokkaido / back to Tokyo we noticed (or so we thought) a distinct difference between the sounds of the cicadas in Honshu and Hokkaido.. Are we crazy? (we liked them both BTW)(

6. Nicholas Wilson // 7 October, 2015 at 1:10 am //

My girlfriend and myself eat a lot of garlic in summer and I can tell you from personal experience that it makes a big difference because the bugs don’t like it. It is worth mentioning that Brit’s and Americans (from any state that I’ve met) use tiny amounts of garlic and consider it “strong” but it’s not hard to get used to stronger amounts and also things like garlic sausages from various countries that can be store bought.

It’s also worth remembering that old colonial British solution of Tonic Water, developed to protect colonial Brits in India during the time of the Raj. A lot of people don’t realise Quinine is not actually a malaria drug but is in fact a bug repellent, specifically aimed at repealing mosquitos but also effective against other bugs.

Fun Fact: the word “bug” specifically refers to biting insects and not non-biting insects, arachnida or invertebrates generally. :)

• English is not my first language..
      so, if bugs = mosquitoes and other biting insects.. what word should i use as a generalization for those that don’t bite, like roaches and stuff?

• Nicholas Wilson // 7 October, 2015 at 6:57 pm //

As a general rule anything with 6 legs is an insect, anything with 8 legs is an arachnid and anything with more is an invertebrate. That said if you use the word “bug” for all of them English speakers will understand what you are saying. :)

7. I find the bites the worst over the joints of my fingers and toes.

8. Anonymous // 6 October, 2015 at 11:58 pm //

I understand that. Unfortunately mosquitoes love to bite me every where. No matter how much spray I put on. They are like …”She is out side get her!” I am still pondering the purpose of mosquitoes??? Besides to make life miserable.

9. It makes me think about the camp song, “Mosquito Version” of an African folk song named “Vista.”
    Mamalama Kumalama Kumala ‘Squito,
    Oh no no, no more mosquitoes!
    Itchy itchy scratchy scratchy, ooh, I’ve got one down my backy!
    Itch itch scratch scratch, ooh I’ve got oen down my back!
    Beat that mosquito with that bug spray, Psssst!
    Mosquito!

10. Moria Sexton // 6 October, 2015 at 11:54 pm //

I can totally relate on the mosquito bites. I do not like them either. Have you tried lavender oil or smelling lotion -seems to help me since I do not like to use bug spray on my face. Here in Cuenca, Ecuador (Latin America), we get a few mosquitoes and some nasty little bugs called ‘no-see-ems’ here that just love to bite my face (and my arms) if I’m out in the evenings especially by one of the three rivers in town. I hope you recover from your bug bites.

• I remember the ‘no-see-ems’ in Sangolquí! At school, they always got me while we were having weekly announcements and el momento cívico (I think that’s what it was called). How long have you been in Cuenca?

• Moria Sexton // 7 October, 2015 at 6:20 pm //

I have been living here in Cuenca for a little over 2 1/2 years now. I am really enjoying it here. I remember last year that I received a ‘no-see-ems’ bite near my left eyelid which made it swell completely shut. 😞

11. I always feel like the exotic mini bar for mosquitos in Japan. It is like they are tired of ‘Japanese’ blood and am just so thankful for a change. :3

12. I always get bitten and have a really bad reaction to it. Luckily I’ve only been bitten once or twice on my face but it always makes me miserable when it happens :(

I was in Cambodia two years ago and a local summed it up nicely, he said, foreigners have sweet blood, its true, they love us!