Comic: Eating potato chips with chopsticks!

japan comic comics cartoon texan in tokyo eating chips with chopsticks

Okay, I lied. I think this comic was a last-min addition to “Confessions of a Texan in Tokyo” – but I just couldn’t NOT post it.

Ryosuke used chopstick to eat like everything. Fried meat, cake, potato chips, vegetables, etc. It’s odd.

———————————

Like these comics? Check out my comic books (on Amazon):

My Japanese Husband Thinks I’m Crazy: The Comic Book

and

My Japanese Husband (still) Thinks I’m Crazy

and

Confessions of a Texan in Tokyo

36 Comments on Comic: Eating potato chips with chopsticks!

1. Anna Thomas // 21 August, 2015 at 10:44 pm //

My boyfriend is kinda the same, chopsticks for several things, as well as asian seasonings/ sauces and food utensils (at least most things, after I poked fun at him he kinda put them away during certain meals just to point it out to me lol). However, he’s laotian american, and I’m half Thai but.. I guess because I’m really americanized compared to him I just notice it a lot. it’s even kind of a running joke that my mom asks him. He uses them with spaghetti, noodles, rice, etc. Terriyaki sauce for steak, other asian sauces I’ve never tasted, and soup spoons for cereal, ice cream, and any other things he belives requires a spoon.

2. this is adorable, i cant even use chopsticks….i cant seem to figure it out

3. My boyfriend is the same… he prefers to eat everything with chopsticks or with a napkin :D just not get his fingers dirty. so cute…

4. FiveOclockTea // 4 July, 2015 at 3:17 pm //

A friend of mine eats potato Chips with a spoon :D
    He doesn’t want to accidentaly touch his face with his greesy-potato-chips-hands and get pimples :D

5. Using chopsticks to eat potato chips is a really good idea. Keep your hands clean!

6. What a great idea ^^ Chopsticks are dexterous to pick up just about anything, and you won’t have to wash your hands afterwards!

7. Anonymous // 3 July, 2015 at 9:42 am //

It’s a culture and preference thing. I don’t think it’s weird at all. Everyone is different. People might think it’s gross to use your fingers to eat your food, too.

8. Another one from the “eating popcorn with chopsticks” side! I make mine with honey and paprika, and that’s really rather sticky and messy.
    Otherwise, I’m big on eating *everything* with my fingers. I’m a savage! ^_^

9. Richard // 3 July, 2015 at 8:14 am //

My Japanese wife has never eaten chips with ‘hashi.’ It’s a pretty good idea, however!

10. I use chopsticks to eat yogurt and pretty much anything at work. They are a lot easier to clean, mine come in a cute little container, and I’m too lazy to bring spoons with me from home. I must say, though, that my co-workers used to look at me like I’m crazy but they’ve gotten used to it. It’s even funnier cause I’m white.

11. It’s an Asian thing. :)

12. Rich K. // 2 July, 2015 at 11:04 pm //

Is Ryosuke a lefty?

13. i need to improve my chopsticks skills and manners. i have some bamboo chopsticks from a chinese fast food.

14. bubujin_2 // 2 July, 2015 at 9:58 pm //

I don’t know if she still does this, but my sister would regularly use chopsticks to eat popcorn.

15. This had me laughing when I read it in the comic book! But I must admit, it’s a great idea. And I’m Asian as well so I could just say that ;)

16. I used to eat everything with chopsticks as tennager. My mom hated that XD

17. Richard A. // 2 July, 2015 at 3:07 pm //

Is that any worse than eating chips, or cake remnants, with a spoon? (With chips that’s how I get the last bits out of the bag. As an inveterate cheapskate, can’t let anything go to waste . . . .)

18. The first time my Japanese father-in-law visited the US and had cake at a restaurant, he made a point of asking the waiter for chopsticks and ate his cake with them “I’m Asian!” my husband was mortified lol.

19. Anonymouse // 2 July, 2015 at 2:07 pm //

I don’t think eating chips with chopsticks is that weird? I’ve done it, especially when I’m eating chips out of the bag because it really does help keep my hands clean.

20. haha! Love that! I would do it just because it is harder to shovel chips in with chopsticks. I just wrote a post about why kids should use chopsticks…. I should add this as another great reason! :) http://koreainmykitchen.com/?p=1865

21. I do the same for fries because I like dousing them in ketchup/mayo. I should start doing it for popcorn… (O_O)

22. I use chopsticks for Cheetos! Keeps the orange off my fingers!

• Yep! Made my daughter laugh the 1st time I did it. She brought me “chopstick tongs” specifically made for eating chips from Daiso (the tongs not the chips) when she studied in Japan.

23. How do you eat cake… with Chopsticks?

24. I as an Asian guy don’t feel comfortable in slicing steak with a knife and a fork. Instead I prefer going with a spoon and chopsticks. They are easy and fast tools for me. So I can understand him.

25. I’ve been advocating this for years! Key point: you don’t have to clean your hands before picking up your controller (or going back to your keyboard)!

26. Anonymous // 2 July, 2015 at 11:41 am //

I’m Asian and that just too much.

27. Anonymous // 2 July, 2015 at 11:34 am //

Can Ryosuke eat pizza with chopsticks?

28. Omigosh… Why didn’t I think of that!!
    That’s brilliant! Now I can play video games/watch peoples without my hands getting dirty while doing so! 8D I will definitely be trying that out.

29. I just have to try doing that. Doritos are messy

30. I use chopsticks to eat hot cheetos because I don’t want my fingers stained for the next five days!