Crazy UPDATE (Finally!)

Hi all,

For the last couple months, I’ve been hinting that things are going to change. I still can’t talk about EVERYTHING, but Ryosuke and I have decided that we can finally make a public announcement.

1. Ryosuke quit his job

It was a good company, but a bad fit for him. This might not seem like a big deal, but in Japan, lifetime employment is still a thing (it’s becoming less common, to be fair). The key “job hunting” candidates are juniors/seniors in college – once you’ve graduated, the chance of landing a regular job falls off a cliff. Ryosuke quitting his job after “only” a year means that his chances of getting rehired anywhere are very low.

I also quit all the various/random jobs I had around Tokyo.

2. We moved!

We are no longer living in Tokyo. A couple months back, I saw a fatal accident beneath my window (we lived off a major road). A motorcycle ran into the back of a car turning into our building. It happened right underneath my window – I could see the man’s face. There was a lot of blood and I had nightmares for a while after that.

I’m a country girl. I’ve never lived in a big city before. I love Tokyo dearly… but living here really started to mess with my head. People are always going at 110% – working long hours and passing out on the subway home. I grew up reading books under trees and playing make-believe in fields of hay. Ryosuke’s also from the countryside.

Neither of us is into clubbing. We don’t go to chic cafes or diners (we like cooking). We like hiking, the smell of fresh dirt, and wide open spaces.

So we moved.

3. Don’t worry, we’re still in Japan

We had been playing with the idea of moving back to America since last November. If/when Ryosuke quit his job, there was nothing keeping us in Japan. I got a couple tentative job offers from companies in Texas/California (nothing serious)…

I was really struggling with what I wanted to do with my life.

Stay in Japan? Move to America?

You might have noticed a depressing turn my blog has taken in the last three months. This decision on “what to do” really messed with my emotional well-being. I was lost.

But then I started setting boundaries. I still read all my comments here (Thank you SOOO much!), but I don’t try to reply to everyone anymore. Ditto with Facebook/YouTube. I also stopped replying to personal messages (for a while, I was getting 5-10 a day via just email).

And my second book started selling really well. So Ryosuke and I decided we would stay in Japan. For now, at least.

We’ve moved out way, WAY far away from any major cities – where trains come like once an hour and people wear sweatpants to the supermarket. We will still come into Tokyo (it’s close to 5 hours to get to Tokyo) several times a year for the major events.

4. I’m changing my blog name to “Texan & Tokyo

I’m from Texas.

Ryosuke is from Tokyo.

This works, right?

[We haven’t had wi-fi at our new place for the last two weeks. So as soon as that gets set up, I will doing a blog revamp]

5. We’re translating my comics into Japanese and will try to find a publisher

If not, we will self-publish. The Japanese market is a bit different than the American… but we have plenty of ideas.

Ryosuke’s translating my comics into Japanese. We will start posting them on a Japanese site (that I will link to once it’s up and running). We will also self-publish a Japanese comic book in 3-4 months, depending on his work ethic. Hah.

I’m also going to be branching into writing more “practical” books.

6. Ryosuke and I will both work full-time at home, trying to make this whole “blogging” thing work

For now, all of our income is coming from book sales, my freelancing, and YouTube ads. We won’t know for a couple months whether or not this is going to work.

7. We’re fricken terrified and have no idea what we’re doing with our lives

Neither of us has any idea what we’re doing. This is a whole new world for us. There is a very, VERY large possibility we will crash and burn in a miserably damaging way.

But maybe it won’t.

I made a vow to myself last year to “not let fear get in the way of doing something I love.”

I’ve been repeating this mantra to myself over and over again for the last two months.

8. We’re going to re-group in a year and see what happens

Ryosuke and I have decided we’re going to give this a shot. If we fail, we fail knowing that we gave it our all – no regrets. We’ve marked the calendar and in one year, will decide whether or not to keep at it or throw in the towel.

All in all, one year is a small price to pay.

102 Comments on Crazy UPDATE (Finally!)

1. MRS D CUBIN // 18 June, 2015 at 7:36 am //

To Grace and Ryosuke…..Congrats to you both…on what ever you find you head and heart doing. As for a year that going to be a long time for you two to figure out whats going on, more comics, moving again, something new with the art work( prefect drawing by the way) or whatever.

love watching a day in the life of Grace and Ryosuke……thanks for making me smile.

bye..x

2. My heart goes out to you with your daring move. I know just what its like to pack your bags and leave the 9-5, taking a risk on a venture that might just crash and burn, or might lead to a fruitful, beautiful life that you can embrace with relish! Good luck on your venture, and I love your YouTube channel!

3. I’ve been reading since last July or so — a bit before I came to Japan — and I just wanted to say good luck in this new chapter of your life! My boyfriend (who is Japanese) was talking to me about the woes of having to make a decision about your life’s work when you’re not even out of college, so I’m looking forward to having a peek into the life of a Japanese family who departs from the typical lifetime employment path. Excited to see what you’ll come up with next — and once your book is translated I’m definitely going to buy a copy for my boyfriend.

4. Considering your lifestyle rural area fits you two better than Tokyo. And you will be able to spent more time together (which can be a challenge for some couples… ;) ) Watching your video of how you spent your everyday in Tokyo, I kinda felt sad for you, being all alone almost the whole day – that would make me unhappy. So, I hope that you have a great time together, out there in the Japanese “wilds”. Can’t wait to see videos from your area. :)

5. Good luck with all the changes in your lives! I wish you the best!

6. Hey guys :) I’m currently reading your second comic book and I just LOVE both of them. Really looking forward to more Texan & Tokyo ;)
    You two are great, I wish you only the best!

7. Good luck with all your transitions! It’s a scary thing to do something new, but you have each other and you’re both hard workers so I think it will work out positively for you. Plus, you already seem happier than before!

8. The frack?! (>o<)
    Omg you HAD me at "pregnant", and I gasped so loud! XD

But it was untrue… (-___-')

Wow. That is a huge deal! Whatever happens, you guys have it together way more than you think. Things will work out.
    Seriously, I learn about managing my life and aims from reading your blog:
    – Don't just rush into it. Plan.
    – Sometimes you've got to leap into the unknown
    – (BIG ONE!) Setting boundaries and defining my own rules, then using them as a platform to organise myself. (Like getting dressed when I work at home, and taking regular breaks). Having had to work in a very set circumstance for most of my life, being left alone to get stuff done at home for long stretches sees me just working like a disorganised maniac because there isn't anything to break up the time into chunks. Figuring how to healthily use my time, and maximise my attention and effort is invaluable with finals around the corner.

I'm rooting for you guys, and you're in my prayers. Peace. ♥

9. Congratulations! I know you can make it!

10. Anonymous // 9 March, 2015 at 4:14 pm //

Hang in there you two! I am very impressed by your determination. I hopes everything will be fine for both of you. Drop us some thought if you guys are in a pinch we will try our best and give you some feed backs. have some faith and maybe opportunity will come to you. I believe in you all ! >:)

11. All the best and congrats on giving all your new directions a go. Perhaps terrifying and liberating all at once? But I imagine you feel alive. :)

12. The best of luck to you both <3

13. Congrats you two! It’ll will all work out in the long run and you’ll be so pleased you decided to believe in yourselves. Wishing you loads of luck and as a country girl at heart–you made the right choice.

Excited to see your new content shine!

14. Quitting jobs in good companies is still a strange idea and takes a lot of guts so Omedetou gozaimasu Ryosuke – san! (watashi wa nihongo wo benkyou shimasu!) :)
    All the best Grace and Ryosuke – san! I will watch all the Youtube ads to help you :P :)

15. Wow. Good luck on the changes you’ve made. It sounds like you’ve thought this through pretty well, and I look forward to seeing you create an even stronger foundation together.

The only thing I might suggest is to avoid debt like the plague. We’re finding that’s the only way to truly live. Debt narrows options so fast! You’d think it’d be the opposite. :/

Anyway, I really hope this works out for you both. Ganbatte!

16. Well congratulations – you’ve taken a jump that many of us wish we could/will do some day! Ganbatte! Ganbatte!

17. Pam Siloti // 7 March, 2015 at 2:23 pm //

What about Kickstarter or go fund me sites to help cover publishing ? one of the things MI enjoyed in both books was our cultural differences, perceptions. What about cultural changes coming to America from Japan? What is his side? Good luck!

18. How exciting! Well done for making the brave decision to follow your hearts. My Chinese fiance and I are at a very similar career crossroad so it is interesting to hear your plans.

Also, I am very curious where you have moved to!

19. Wow, that is a lot of changes for you guys! I know how terrifying it must be; I have been there before… I also grew up in the countryside and totally relate to how you both feel! I’m sure country living will be much healthier for you both than city living. :) I hope you are settling well in your new place!

It is scary not knowing where you are going and what will happen but keep telling yourself you will never know unless you try. I am happy you are trying something new and it’s great that you are going in this together!

Keep up the great work and best of luck with your new beginning! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

20. I am so excited for you guys! Keep up the great work you have all ready been doing! And set up a Patrion page for your youtube (like what Victor has) so that we can donate!

21. I’ve always been fascinated with Japan and Japanese culture. I first saw you when you were on NHK and began following you on FB, reading your blog, etc. Your outlook on life is refreshing, and I think it’s awesome that you are trying to have it all – a family, a career doing what you love. I have always been good at art and drawing as well, so I share that in common with you. I understand what it must be like to want to succeed in doing this for yourself. I think you are doing a great job and love that you are so determined! I wish you good luck and will continue to follow you!

22. Wow sounds rough but good luck with everything! Worst case I’m sure you can always find a job in America especially with your knowledge of English/Japanese for both of you guys. Hope everything works out for you in the end.

23. Rather than try to sell a Japanese translated version of the comic book why not have the English and Japanese pages together and sell it is as a “English-learning” comic book. I saw one comic book by a foreigner do that. It worked very well as it promised “learn english by comics”.

Thus on one side is the English version and the other page is the Japanese with an explanation of the English expressions and humor.

• The dual language comic is a good idea. Also, there’s a female Korean webtoon creator called “Penguin” who is married to Mev, a Brit. Her daily comics are in Korean but two per week are translated into English (Thu + Fri).

She has recently outlicensed her comics to a mobile gaming company in Korea that is using the webtoons as a theme/material for an English-learning mobile (gamified) app.

As a fellow Texan (from Austin) who is also an Asiaphile, wishing you and your husband all the best in your new location. Don’t obsess over short-term monetization – focus on creating a lot of good material – and definitely ignore all the haters!

24. Well, this really makes it hard to just stumble upon you two in Tokyo. heehee I hope all goes well, and will do my part to encourage people with interest to go and buy your books!

25. Have you thought about using patreon to help out with your publishing work? Just a thought. I only just recently started following your blog when I came across the AMWF posts (as I am the AM [technically I am hafu: half korean] and my wifey the WF [and Texan] LOL). I really enjoy reading about your perspective on Japanese life/culture. Your posts also bring back memories of when I lived there back in the 2001-2003 timeframe while I was on the JET programme. Good luck and praying for you both!

26. Thats awesome news, congratulations! Actually for your blog it might even be good cause you can tell us about how living at the japanese countryside is, which at least I am very interested in. I’ve lived in Tokyo myself and its easy to find information/blogs/youtubers about the life there or in other big cities. But I know none who lives in the countryside sadly. So I’d be happy about showaround videos/blogposts or comparison between Tokyo and there (especially rent/housing/acceptance of neighbors etc.). Anyway, good luck and we will all keep to support you here!

Oh and btw it seems I cant order a paperback copy of your second book in germany (the first one I could). Will that change later or do I have to take the kindle? I prefer my books physical if I have the choice…

27. Anonymous // 6 March, 2015 at 9:40 pm //

“Now that my house has burned down, I have a better view of the sky.”

By the way, I think the new title you’ve chosen is a great idea. In (at least my!) Australian accent, the new and the original titles sound almost the same anyway.

Good luck :)

28. How exciting! I’ve been enjoying your blog and I hope this new adventure together is a great one!

29. Abigail McQuatters-Gollop // 6 March, 2015 at 8:26 pm //

Good luck! It’s scary but I bet you can do it!

30. Ian Holmes // 6 March, 2015 at 8:09 pm //

Congratulations! You two are an inspiration to my girlfriend and me, who are also in an intercultural relationship and at the point of figuring out the next big steps in our lives (post-college). I have no doubt you and Ryosuke’s next projects are going to be massively successful, be it comics, “serious” books, blogging, or vlogging. :) We’re looking forward to being avid readers of Texan & Tokyo!

31. Best of luck for both! Count me in for buying your new book when it comes out :)

32. A very brave decision, but I think you can actually do it! :)
    Your blog and your comics are so popular and I’m sure that Japanese people would enjoy your comics as well.
    I recently read a comic book written by a half German, half Japanese woman written in Japanese and it was hilarious.

I hope you’ll enjoy the Japanese countryside as much as I do.

Good luck to you! ^___^

33. Alicia G // 6 March, 2015 at 6:28 pm //

One of my favourite book is about a woman from Belgium who works in a Japanese company for a year (her name is Amelie Nothomb, the book is called Fear and Trembling). I don’t know if you’ve ever read her books, but you probably should, they are funny and sweet and sad at the same time – the best combination of these three factors I’ve ever read.

Best of luck to the two of you, it’s definitely a risky move but I think you can pull it off :)

34. Su-chan // 6 March, 2015 at 4:59 pm //

Congratulations! Gambatte! We have been thinking of doing something similar to what you guys are doing, it is one of our dream goals. It is great you are finally able to live out in the countryside! I also do not really care for big cities. Does this mean Ryosuke gets to grow out his facial hair now?

35. Hello :) I am the Jordy from Totoro Times and from Tokyo (you know me right? no? woops) and I have a few cartoonists friends in Japan or related to Japan. They sometimes publish books (and I did as well publish a book in Japan). My friends and I can probably help so don’t hesitate to come ask :) I was struggling with should I go back to France with my Japanese wife (she would love to do that) but there is so much I can do here, I decided to stay more.

36. Anonymous // 6 March, 2015 at 4:33 pm //

I wish you both the best of luck!

37. Hi,
    it’s my first post here, but I try to read you everytime when I have time :).

First good luck to you and your husband. It had to be really hard for him to make so important decision.

And of course be positive. Everything will be fine.
    I know what I’m saying. We moved 6 months ago to different city. Still it’s the same country but we live 400km from our relatives. The movind was much harder becasue we have a daughter – she’s 15 month old right now and we don’t have too much friends here. But still we like our new city home and I hope we’ll stay here for a log time.

So don’t worry and do what you love :)

BTW I love your comics.

38. Michael // 6 March, 2015 at 3:28 pm //

A small step for a traveller but a big step for someone living in Japan. And a wise decision for the two of you. Good luck! And enjoy the countryside.

39. Love to you // 6 March, 2015 at 3:11 pm //

Good luck, I think it’s worth it, and I believe in you. I believe you will make it, guys :)

40. Its hard to chase your dreams and i really have alot of respect for you , for doing this . give it your all . the most important thing in life is to spend time with the people you love and to be happy .

41. Anonymous // 6 March, 2015 at 2:41 pm //

Grace!!! Check out affiliate marketing!!! It might help you get some money!! :))

42. Good luck with your projects! 5 hours from Tokyo is my dream but we are 10 minutes from my husband’s work. You guys are young you can afford to ttry new things :)

43. Wow, that is so exciting and terrifying at the same time. I will go through the “what to do with my life” phase the next four months and though I see it as a chance it also weighs heavily on my shoulders. It must have been so tough for you two to make such s big decision.
    I wish you all the best, that everything will work out as planned and that after a year you will have no regrets and say “It was worth it!”

44. Congratulations! And I just know (and really hope) this is going to work out for you and/or lead to something even better. Glad your both starting to feel better, too!! I’m looking forward to all the changes!

45. I wish you the best of luck! You are very courageous and also I am in awe of your creativity.

46. Viet Lee // 6 March, 2015 at 1:59 pm //

I can’t see from a fiscal standpoint on how you would be able to support yourselves, I just can’t see you guys lasting a year unless you have a lot of savings, low expenses, and family supporting you. However I do commend your path, the traditional route is usually the most stable route, it just isn’t meant for some types people, also you guys aren’t a traditional couple Xp, moving away and starting fresh can be an amazing thing for a relationship.

I think the re-branding is not right “Texan & Toyko” isn’t that attractive to me as the original one. Call it “Texan in Japan” (X=Z sound) Te-Xan in Ja-Pan is what i like

• I freelance and we have money coming in from book sales, ads, affiliate, and YT. It balances out (albeit just barely). Rent is much cheaper in the countryside and we also do have quite a bit saved up.

• Anonymouse // 6 March, 2015 at 5:43 pm //

While trying to make a full time living off of blogging/vlogging is certainly a risky venture, when someone already has a large fan base (like Grace does) it’s not as impossible as one might think.

For people interested in the viability of blogging as a full-time job, I’d actually recommend Eat Your Kimchi (you can google them or search them on YouTube for their stuff), since they went from being teachers and blogging as a hobby to turning it into a successful business. If you go through all their “tl;dr” series videos from start to finish, you can actually see a bit of how they progressed from hobby to business and listen to them talk about their experiences firsthand.

47. Wow! There’s so much going on with your life but you still keeping it up with your blog, salute!

48. Whee, best of luck!!! :D I’m sure you’ll both do awesome!! (I hope your plant children made the move with you!) XD

49. If you don’t try this, you’ll never know what would have happened right? And then you’d regret not finding out! This is so exciting for you both, I wish you the best of luck!! ^__^

• I agree so much! I so much commend your faith in the possibilities of this route and your guys’ determination to do this as a team.
      I think Texan n’ Tokyo is a nice compromise :D (the & is fine, I think I’d pronounce it as n’/ん in my head)

50. Wish you both the best of luck with your plans! I’m sure if anyone can make it work, you two can!

51. Good luck! This remind me when Lacy, the kids and I moved back to France in 2011. We were trying to find ourself and we gave it a try in France closer to my familly. As you know, it didn’t work as planned and we are back in Texas. We lost a lot of money, things were hard and are still a little hard but we have no regrets!!! We are starting a new life… Again… ;) I strongly beleive that everything in life happen for a good reason.

52. Anonymous // 6 March, 2015 at 1:12 pm //

Don’t worry grace and ryosuke as your fans we’ll support you!! :)

53. Grace, Congrats on your decision . I know it must have been difficult for both you and Ryosuke to make, but in the time I’ve been following your blog and youtube vids, I’m sure you and Ryosuke will make it and be stronger for it.
    Best wishes and all the best. I look forward to reading and watching you in all things.

David

54. Katsumi // 6 March, 2015 at 1:06 pm //

Good luck! Work shouldn’t be your priority, Be free and live your life!!

55. I had experienced seeing someone commit suicide by hanging in Osaka (a Korean man). We was couch surfing in a guesthouse, and we was sleeping on the roof. The man talked to us a little bit, but not much. The next day we was greeted with police and the works. We had to move our things to the other rooms below and the Police officer said not to look (女NO) trying to protect me.

When the elevator opened to the room I had to put my stuff, his body was facing in toward the stairwell (which had large gaps in between eat metal bracket, is it? WORD?! I forgot. Anyway I saw his face pretty close up sadly, blood was coming from nis nose, eyes and mouth. So sad and not a easy death at all.

The scary part is the roof had no bathroom so I had a ket to use the bathroom in another room. I didn’t luckily see him doing it, but his last conversation with me is one I can never forget and analyse over and over wishing I could have said something that would have prevented it.

Me and my ex was shaken up and sad, so we visited many shrines that day, and when we came back, a shamen had been there already with salt and rice to purify the building. It don’t bother me now, but it was a big deal at the time. Sorry to hear you had to see that too.

56. Holy smokes, that’s a whole lot of changes! You guys are really brave to break away from the salaryman life and I admire you a lot. Recently I decided to leave my eikaiwa and try the public schools, so I sympathize to an extent.

Stay strong, stick together and you’ll make it through!

57. Anonymouse // 6 March, 2015 at 12:48 pm //

First off, my condolences for what you went through after witnessing that accident. Just reading about it makes my eyes tear up and throat close, and I can’t even begin to imagine how you must have felt. I’m glad that you were able to move into an environment that is more comfortable and safe for you.

In terms of your blog title change, I like it! Although the grammar nerd in me dislikes the asymmetry between “Texan” (which describes a person from Texas) and “Tokyo” (which describes a place). But I’m not sure that “Texan & Tokyoite” has the same ring to it… Anyway, there’s no rule saying that blog names have to be “perfect” (whatever that is, anyway), so changing it to “Texan & Tokyo” should be fine. ^^;

In any case, good luck on everything! I look forward to reading about all the new changes you’ll be implementing this year.

58. How excitante for you two!!!! You both are so real and natural in your vlogs. Plus, with your comics, I feel so privileged to have been welcomed into your lives

59. How excitante for you two!!!! You both are so real and natural in your vlogs. Plus, with your comics, I feel so privileged to have been welcomed into your lives

60. Elizabeth // 6 March, 2015 at 12:36 pm //

Lovely news! Best of luck with everything :D

61. Good luck Grace! A lot can happen in a year, something good might be just around the corner. I myself am leaving Japan at the end of the month after two years and its really scary so I can relate a little. I hope everything works out and your enjoying your time in the countryside.

62. I wondered if this was the case. My husband has wanted to quit his job since he started last year, poor thing. Kyoto is a slower pace and better fit for us than Tokyo would ever be but as another American married to a Japanese “salaryman” I’m rooting for you guys!!

Looking forward to this blog showing me a new facet of Japan–countryside life.

And kampai (with my tea) to Ryosuke on getting the courage to leave the rat race, lol!

63. Wow, lot going on. No matter what keep your heads up and stick, and I mean stick together. Money/finance is one of the top reason for divorce rates. If I told you my life story you would hate it and most likely wouldn’t want to try to be in my shoe. Everything fell apart in my life but I stay positive. Like 95% of the stuff you listed I can relate. Hopefully want I suggest can help. Job wise, I would say try these websites if your looking for work back in the states if you haven’t yet: careerbuilder.com (helped me land 3 jobs), monster.com or indeed.com trust me I had like 16-18 jobs total in California, Georgia, and Michigan. I worked for Union and Non union jobs. Look into SINGAPORE since you guys are a lot closer than I am, I been wanted to give that place a visit. With your husband background and yours I think you guys have a better chance of landing a job there. Singapore is a good, if not excellent place for EXPATS. I did so much research on that place this pass few weeks. It seems like an ideal place for me because it reminds me of San Francisco. I checked into the Pros and Cons it ain’t that bad of a country compared to what I seen and been through. Even try THAILAND, check out NIKKIBEACH.COM in Thailand you might like it they have marketing jobs, crew members,etc.
    Try looking into careers in Google, Pepsi, Nike, Valspar career opportunities, etc. I listed some of this because these companies there international. The next time you go grocery shopping look at the titles and name brand you see in the stores and see if they have website you can apply to. It could be a soda company, wine company, electronics, paint company, ice cream company, clothing line, whatever it is make a list of companies you wanna try and apply.Keep looking online and drive around town bring a note pad write down companies you see and apply later. Go online look into distribution and logistics, merchandisers/vendors, shipping and receiving clerk, inventory control, PM inspection specialist, assembling line worker, inbound outbound processor, customer service for Coca-Cola, keep looking. Don’t matter what kind of job even if it’s something that is well below your standard take it until you find something else. Even if you have no experience just apply. White LIES on your resume are OKAY everybody does it! Trust me, if you say you did this job for 6 month say you did it for 1-2 year. Try living life without your siblings or parents around. Try doing this at age 13. Just tell yourself people out their in the world have it harder than you, no food living in a jungle no love ones. Money stress EVERYONE in this modern world. I hate it wish money was never invented. I remember being in a relationship, we was so broke we had to take money from my step daughter piggy bank just so I can put gas in my car to go to work. Broke my heart, broke my heart! I miss them so much and it’s been a decade. But that’s life. You guys keep on looking on foot, online, what ever it takes to get on track.
    When you stress take a walk, cruise on a bike or car, seeing too much of each other can cause stress especially if both you not working, cook, draw(what you do), workout, just don’t BE HOME TOO MUCH it would makes anybody go crazy.

64. You have been very brave! I think you made a good decision. Good luck!

65. Shingo Nakatani // 6 March, 2015 at 12:11 pm //

Most important thing in life is to have “no regret” in your journey of life. As long as you do your best in each moments, it will be less likely that you will have any regret. Also life is “journey” without any fixed destination. So as long as you can try to enjoy your journey with your soul-mate, you should be able to overcome any obstacles.

I am not religious, but one of my favourite sayings in Japanese is “人事を尽くして天命を待つ”. When I came to UK by myself, I had support from my family and friends I made in UK. I was terrified what might happen after I finish my Post Graduate, as I would be too old to get a normal job in Japan as well as I would not be able to work in UK full time, due to VISA restriction, but it turned out OK and I am still staying in UK… So you may stay in Japan or USA, but as long as you and Ryosuke are together with family/friends support, things should turn out to be OK.

Another Japanese saying is “諸行無常”. Or “人間万事塞翁が馬”

Hope everything goes well for both of you.

Shingo

66. This is awesome! I mean yeah I get the terrified bit, but this mostly sounds really super exciting!

67. Anonymous // 6 March, 2015 at 12:08 pm //

Good luck, happy to keep up to date on youtube and give you those ad sales :) you guys are real making you my favourite jvlogger

68. My new years resolution was to take more risks. I admire your quest toward fulfillment.

69. good luck :)

70. Good luck to you guys! A year will fly by and you will prosper either way :D I can imagine how much of a relief it feels to have everything somewhat sorted and a plan to go with. Enjoy!

71. Grace, Ryosuke!
    Seriously, congratulations!! What a huge new chapter in your life! Everything must be so hectic right now, but everything’ll definitely work out. When I was contemplating quitting my job to go to Japan, this site called “The Daily Love” was a pretty good source of motivation/reinforcement…aside from awesome friends, too :) But you have people supporting you all around the globe too. Definitely will buy your books as soon as my first paycheck comes!!
    Good luck! :)

72. Guadalups // 6 March, 2015 at 11:46 am //

you’ll be ok, I know! we all pray for it :D

73. Hi Grace, I think you are doing the right thing. Take some chances while you are still young and have less to lose. Pursuing your passion is a good thing, I am proud of you and wish you the best of success. As a fellow Texan, I like to help in any way I can, just let me know… 8-)

Plus, I am sure you are aware from your family and spiritual upbringing, that God is in charge and He will guide you in every step. That has been my experience throughout the 53 years of my life. You know you’ll always find peace in Him.

Also it must cost less to live 5 hours outside Tokyo, so I think y’all made the right move.
    Enjoy your time and experience in Japan, the U.S. will always welcome you and Ryosuke back. It _is_ still the land of opportunities.

Love, love, love both of your books. Can’t wait to see more of your talents!! 8-)

74. I’m happy to hear you took a step that will be better for your lives. Best of luck and don’t forget to enjoy it.

75. Good luck to the both of you! I hear you about living in big cities – we love our life in Central Taiwan!! It is to believe that I lived in Taipei for 6 years!

76. I wish you all the best! I’m sure you two can get through anything. <3

77. Wow, those are some really big changes! 頑張って!!

78. Good luck! You will do great!

79. I gave up my life in my hometown and moved to a new state two years ago with my boyfriend. It was the best decision I ever made. I love my life and wouldn’t change it for the world. Good luck with this next year!

80. Congratulations! I think you will be much happier and healthier! Best of luck and I will keep reading!

81. Best of luck to you two!

82. I think this is a great idea! I could never live in Tokyo… Fukuoka is way more my style. I am moving countries this year and I agree it’s terrifying making a huge life decision without having a real back up plan or without knowing if what you plan will work, but I think we just have to go for it! Our happiness is at stake. We have to look for the things we can change that we know we should and not worry about what we are leaving behind. Just keep going and look ahead. I hope you and Ryosuke find joy and success (I think you already have so don’t remember to look back on how far you’ve come) and I wish you two the best happiness!

83. I’m sure it will all work out, you both are amazing!!! It reminded me the song “losing it all”, from the band anberlin…I believe it really suits the changes you are going throug…(it’s a cute song, I promise you!)
    Wish you both the best! <3

84. Good luck to you guys! I know you’ll make the best of it and I think it will be a good year for you!

85. Kyendwarrior // 6 March, 2015 at 11:12 am //

Good luck!! :)

86. you two can do it! I believe in you! :) I keep my fingers crossed for you!
    PS In the video I really thought you were serious so I was like ‘WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT’ but then I was like ‘aww not gonna be an auntie yet’ :D

87. Anonymous // 6 March, 2015 at 11:08 am //

Try not to be too scared. Think of it as more nervousness for a new life change! You never know – this might turn out to be exactly what will make you completely happy in life. If not, move on to the next stage :)

Goodluck & keep us updated!

88. Also, Texan&Tokyo is an awesome name :)

89. There are great things about living in a big city, but I hear you. My dream is to live in a small, quiet town in NH with more trees than neighbors. This might be because my current neighbors from are massive partiers with CHILDREN’S BIRTHDAY PARTIES that run till midnight. These involve bouncers, pinatas, and chants of “wake up the neighbors! wake up the neighbors!” Adult parties involve karaoke that goes till 2 AM. (I don’t know anyone that likes “Hotel California” at 2 AM.)

Enjoy the peaceful countryside!

90. Best of luck Grace!! You know we’re rooting for you guys :)

91. I wish you two the best of luck on your journey and hope things come up great for you. :)

92. Clementine // 6 March, 2015 at 11:06 am //

Good luck!

93. Good luck you two ;) you deserve all the luck in the World ;)

1. Comic: Don't worry - I always scan them ahead of time - Texan in Tokyo
  2. 9 Things Hated about living in Tokyo | Texan in Tokyo
  3. Actually YouTube IS a real job: The struggle of working as a Content Creator/Creative | Texan in Tokyo
  4. HUGE Blog-y Updates | Texan in Tokyo