I was going to post another comic this morning (per usual). But, when I was doing some last-minute editing, I noticed this:
My next post, whatever it ended up being, was going to be my 500th post!
That’s big news, right? I could just make it any old comic.
On the other hand, I couldn’t really think of anything clever to write. I’ve already given plenty of (probably bad) marriage advice, dating advice, blogging advice, and talked about my book. So, I’ve decided I’m going to make some predictions about the future of my blog/life – what will it look like at 1000 posts?
1. I will have two more books published (in English) and one book published (in Japanese). If I’m going to dream, I might as well dream big, right?
I had a wonderful (but stressful) time running a kickstarter to publish my first book. You can buy it here: My Japanese Husband Thinks I’m Crazy: The Comic Book
I want to keep doing that. And Ryosuke wants to help me translate a couple of my comics into Japanese for a Japanese audience :)
2. We will still be living in Japan. This one isn’t even wishful thinking. I have no idea where we will be living. We move a lot. But if I had to guess, I would say Japan because it’s “easy” and both of us can work here with minimal paperwork.
3. No children (yet). Or maybe we will. Who knows. But 500 more posts puts me in the last 2016/early 2017 range, and we probably won’t be ready (ie, “mature” enough) to produce and take care of tiny humans.
4. More than 50% of our income comes from blog-related things. This one is wishful thinking. I love my blog. I love my comics. I vaguely tolerate doing all the technical stuff. I love my Youtube channel. I would love to be mostly self-employed, funded by book sales (and maybe a sponsor or two on Youtube…?).
The sad fact of the matter is that while nearly every blog CPM advertising company that has contacted me has promised a rate of $2 – $6 per 1000 views… the most I’ve ever gotten (including Google Ads, etc) was about $0.20 per 1000 views. For 8000 ad impressions a day, I was getting ~$1.00 a day.
I’m sure someone is getting those premeir CPM rates of $5, and getting totally rich off their blog. But it isn’t me.
They probably run some sort of financial advising blog with incredible niche ads. I run a silly, personal blog with comics and stories from my life. There aren’t a lot of high-paying advertisers for that niche. So, rather than broadcast awkward “lose weight” and “buy these cheap clothes!” ads for like $2-4 a day, I’ve removed ads. And rely on Amazon Affiliates for my main blog income.
5. I can speak Japanese (almost) fluently. Of course, I can speak Japanese. No one in Ryosuke’s family speak English, and I have no problem spending the weekend out in the countryside or babysitting our various nieces and nephews. But I still miss a lot of stuff. I want to be “basically fluent” – so that I can cook with okaasan or go shopping with one of my sisters-in-law without having to say “sorry, I didn’t catch that” or “what?” every ten minutes.
6. Pass the 6 million view mark for my blog. This one is also wishful thinking. I love dreaming big. And, if I keep growing at the same right, this just might be possible (emphasis on the might).
7. Be happy. I mean, I’m happy now. But it would be silly to put all these technical goals and not put the most important one – I think I will still be very happy 500 posts from now.
Anyone else have any thoughts/ predictions?