1. This guy. He made me proud to be foreign.
Hands down, the winner of the Tokyo Marathon 2013 Funny Costume Contest:
If you want information on How to Register for the 2014 Tokyo Marathon or 2015 Tokyo Marathon, click here.
2. No. 2 Pencil. Get it?
This is why we can’t have nice things. I also want to know who thought it would be fun to run 42 km for the 2013 Tokyo Marathon in a giant, green pencil costume.
3. That annoying video-camera guy that plays at the beginning of EVERY SINGLE Japanese movie in theaters, reminding you that video piracy is illegal. I wonder how long before Tokyo Marathon he started making his costume.
9. Spartan Warrior. I was very impressed with this costume. His shield was all shiny too. I can’t believe he carried it for the entire marathon. They really ought to have a ‘I carried an annoying prop for the 2013 Tokyo Marathon’ badge. This man (and the Heidi for earlier) totally earned it.
10. Bumblebee. I also saw an Optimus Prime later (but wasn’t able to get a picture). Also, one of the best costumes. 11. This creepy costume is going to give me nightmares. I guarantee it. It was a pretty interesting costume.
12. Not impressed? I’m fairly certain this man ran the entire race with his arms outstretched like this. As he was running, he did this awkward back and forth shuffle so that he could keep his arms up in the air in a Michael Jackson tribute. Be impressed.
13. Bacon and Egg couple. Alone, they might not have made my Tokyo Marathon 2013 Best Costume Award list, but they ran the race holding up a “Thank You” sign between them. Have you ever tried to run 42 km while holding a sign? It’s hard. Or so I’ve heard.
14. It’s a soccer ball. It was a silly costume.
16. This Doraimon costume gets extra points because I’m not sure how they were able to breathe/not overheat in that costume.
17. I really wish I knew who this character was, but I’m drawing a blank. If you know, please leave the name in the comment section.
18. Ketchup and Mustard couples costume. Very funny costumes!
19. Taiyaki (たい焼き) man. In bright gold spandex.
21. Cosplay time! Takashi from Naruto – who gets extra points for doing a ninja pose on demand (but I didn’t get a picture of it)
22. Mutant cross between Luffy and Chopper from One Piece. This was a pretty funny costume.
24. She gets extra points for great attitude!
25. Cutest couple in Tokyo Marathon 2013 goes to Micky and Minnie Mouse
26. Yet another clown that will give me nightmares… What a weird clown costume.
27. Once again, not sure.
28. Wonder Woman
29. And what would a Tokyo Marathon be without a little bit of Dragon Ball?
30. Robin, but not Batman… I guess he’s already retired.
31. Once again, not sure. The Tokyo Marathon 2013 had some pretty weird costumes. Also, just so you know, I spent the entire race on the sidelines, cheering on people like this.
32. To be completely fair, I think I saw close to ten Micheal Jacksons in the 2013 Tokyo Marathon.
33. Once again, no idea.
34. A cute fish.
35. No Tokyo Marathon would be complete without at least one Luigi or Mario costume (just like an American College Halloween Party).
36. I talked about this guy in a previous post. He dangled a beer can in front of his cap to give him motivation to run. Very clever.
37. It’s a bottle of Sake (alcohol) running.
38. Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist, and cosplayer at the Tokyo Marathon 2013.
39. Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland.
40. Once again, not sure.
Add me on Google Plus: +Grace Buchele